Thursday 11 June 2009

Já está. Até proxima.

Pronto. My time in O Refúgio do Amanhecer is almost up. Tomorrow (sexta-feira), at 16.05 I will be speeding along the runway before the nose pulls up and the plane slowly rises off the ground, spins around, and points itself in the direction of London Heathrow. I've been here for about six months (in fact, my time has spanned 6 months - January, February, March, April, May and June - but hasn't quite been a six month duration) and it feels very weird to be leaving. This has become a home for me, in a way; in England I have nowhere to act as home since our house is being rented at the moment. It's an odd feeling to leave somewhere foreign that has so quickly become so familiar, to return to a place once so familiar which will now feel foreign... almost.

Thank you, here and now, from the bottom of my heart, to those who have read continuously, those who have prayed, those who have sent stuff, and just generally supported me. It's been really great. Muito obrigado!

From plunging my entire arm into gutters, to mowing the lawn with a glorified strimmer; from playing footy to running; from laying cement to laying flowers; from weeks of rain to weeks of scorching sun; from eating too much food to giving out food on the streets; from losing money to being given donations; moving along in faith and discipline with times of struggling in the middle, making new friends and family along the way; from England to Portugal, this has been a trip I will not forget. God has moved in me and spoken to me in a way I wasn't expecting. I have learnt a lot, read a lot, loved a lot, and been loved even more. I have focussed, I have become structured (or at the very least, more so than before), I have slipped up and I have had to face the consequences. I've got back up, I've continued. I have grown in my relationship with my beautiful girlfriend as well, and feel far closer to her now than ever before, despite being over 1700 miles away. I've even got myself a tasty tan, and have built my muscles, if I'm being utterly shallow.

Rubén and Loida threw a Barbie for me at their house last night. There was a lot of food (in honour of me, he said), and beer, and it was a lot of good fun. It was such a nice way to be thanked.

It's been fun, it's been hard. It's been relaxing, it's been tiring. It's been for me, it's been for them. Will I be back? You bet'cha!

Até já, todos. Vou a ter saudades por esta local, mas vou de voltar quando posso. É incrível.

Já está. Adeus.

No comments:

Post a Comment